On Moving...

So, it's been quiet around the blog these days, however our lives are anything but quiet. We're moving so our lives are full of boxes, packing paper, packing tape, family to help, and slightly less than controlled chaos.

Moving is probably my least favorite thing ever; I get attached to places and we've been in this beautiful apartment for one month shy of 3 years. I love this neighborhood and how I can walk to everything. I love our view of the lake and the city skyline from our window. I love our old Wedgewood stove. I love our little closet that we turned into a nursery. I love that we brought our baby girl home to this place.

We knew our time here was limited. I knew I would want more space for Cora as she became more mobile. But I also knew leaving here, and the memories that this apartment holds would be so difficult. I wondered with Stu a couple of months ago about what would need to happen for me to feel just okay with leaving this apartment. I couldn't come up with an answer.

Turns out all I needed to face the inevitable was a fat threat of eviction from our landlord. Very funny, God. Hilarious, really.

We were on vacation when our washer/dryer that we installed sprung a little leak and damaged the apartment below. I can't imagine coming home to a leaky ceiling, so I totally feel for our neighbors, but the landlord decided that we broke our lease and that we would need to get out or be forced to get out. We decided to determine the legality of the eviction notice and to find a different home. Turns out, he had no legal right to evict us because we didn't break our lease, but by then we had found and committed to a new place.

And so, we move.

It's not far, and I'm thankful for that. It's much much bigger, and I'm thankful for that. Cora will have a small room that's big enough for a full size crib, which I'm really thankful for because she's outgrown her mini-crib with neck-breaking speed. It has room to roam for an increasingly mobile baby, and it has room to entertain which we haven't been able to do in several months. It has a shared yard and a veggie patch. A wonderfully large kitchen with lots of counter space. An office to work in or work from. I am so thankful that we have a place to go.

And so, I'm trying to focus on those things. But honestly? Being evicted, even if it's unfounded and illegal, and scrambling to find a place is stressful. So is moving.  The new place will be perfect for making new memories, but it doesn't mean that I'm not going to miss where we grew our little family.

No comments:

Post a Comment